Annatto oil is a flavorful oil that is commonly used in Latin American, Caribbean, and Filipino cooking. Here's how to make annatto oil:
- 1/4 cup annatto seeds
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Heat the vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium heat until it is hot but not smoking.
- Add the annatto seeds to the oil and stir to combine.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer the mixture for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the oil turns a deep orange-red color.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the oil cool to room temperature.
- Strain the oil through a fine-mesh sieve or cheesecloth to remove the annatto seeds.
- Transfer the annatto oil to a clean glass jar or bottle and store it in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.